St. Raymond’s Cemetery is an integral part of the corporate structure of the parish. It has its origins in the establishment of the parish itself.
St. Raymond’s Cemetery is the only Catholic Cemetery in the Bronx and is one of the busiest cemeteries in the United States with nearly 4000 burials each year. Buried in our cemetery is a brother of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Dr. L.Sullivan Ives, founder of The Catholic Protectory (originally an orphanage on the Parkchester site); Bishop Pernicone (first Italian American Bishop of New York); Jazz singer Billie Holiday and Fr. Frank Duffy of the Fighting 69th regiment. There are numerous Bishops and Priests buried in the cemetery; a section for the Sisters of Charity who continue to serve the parish; a section for the Sisters of St. Ursula.
The Cemetery provides in-ground burials, in-ground crypt burials in the new Holy Cross section, Mausoleum burials and niches for cremains and burials in the base of our granite Cross located in the Holy Cross section. There is also a special Garden of Innocents where still-born babies and young babies are buried with dignity and solemnity. In 1964, a portion of the St. Peters Section was set aside for the burial of Priests of the Archdiocese of New York.
The Cemetery of St. Raymond has been a part of the parish since 1842 and has expanded from the original cemetery in front of the church and on the site of the elementary school to the Old Cemetery on Tremont Avenue to the new Cemetery and Mausoleums at our Lafayette Avenue site. The entire cemetery complex is 180 acres and when filled will be a holy and prayerful burial site for more than half a million people.